The What Ifs of Life: Positive or Negative?
In fiction, asking “What if?” can create dozens of plot possibilities. But in real life, can asking “What if?” steal your joy or bring you peace?
A Different Story
What if–whoops–you let that question dictate your every thought, action, and belief? That’s a different story.
I’ve asked my share of “What ifs”: “What if I can’t meet this deadline? (writing) “What if they don’t laugh at my jokes?” (speaking) “What if my two-year-old still acts like this as a teenager?” (parenting)
Does Fear Dictate Your Life?
Seriously, have any of these “what ifs” ever invaded your heart?
- What if I lose my job and can’t pay my bills?
- What if my spouse leaves me for someone else?
- What if I get cancer or some other terminal illness?
- What if America is attacked again?
- What if a fire or tornado destroys our home?
- What if my teenager turns to drugs?
- What if___________ (you fill in the blank)?
If so, you’re probably among friends. Could those things happen? Absolutely. But letting those “what if” fears dictate your life can steal your joy and destroy your peace of mind.
Can Peace Rule Your Heart?
On the other hand, asking (and believing) these “what ifs” could bring the opposite effect: security, trust, peace.
- What if God’s promises are true?
- What if even in my worst circumstances, God could give me peace?
- What if God really is faithful?
- What if I could trust God for everything?
- What if God really does love me unconditionally?
- What if my fear of the unknown (worry) could focus instead on the known (“fear” of God, strong reliance on Him)?
Psalm 107 underlines this positive perspective:
“Blessed are those who fear the Lord… They will have no fear of bad news; their hearts are steadfast, trusting in the Lord. Their hearts are secure, they will have no fear” (Psalm 107:1, 7-8, NIV).
Which “What Ifs” Would You Choose? Yes, we’ll face our own “what ifs” in life, both positive and negative. Which set of questions would you rather choose? Which beliefs do you want to rule your heart?
What About You?
How many “what ifs” have you asked in life? Are they helpful or destructive? Please share in the comments below.
You won’t be hounded, prodded, or automatically added to my mailing list if you leave a comment. Feel free to email this Christian blog to someone or to re-post on Facebook, Twitter, or other social media, using the buttons below, or to “like” it below or on my Facebook networked blog. If you want to re-post any of my blogs on your own blog or website, please contact me for permission first. And I’d love for you to sign up for my blog/newsletter and updates at the top of this website page/sidebar if you’ve not already done so. That way, I can drop this encouraging blog into your e-mail box weekly, as well as notify you occasionally of any new updates, new books, specials, contests or book giveaways.
Now when you sign up, you will automatically receive a download of “20 Day-votional Truths To Live By,” some of my original quotes to inspire you. Your e-mail address will never be sold or given to anyone!